Monday, March 29, 2010

After 38 hours in a 12-passenger van...

March 29, 2010
...we finally made it to San Diego!! The car ride was probably the longest in my life. We stopped briefly a few times for food and bladder-breaks, but other than that, we spent the entire time in the van. We ran in to Mike and Mason on I-70W around 8:00am.
We averted a major bike crisis on the side of the highway (one of the bikes was literally hanging off the roof) around 8:30am. We passed the "mighty Mississippi" around 2pm (I was driving). We ran in to a hail storm in Missouri around 3pm. We stopped at Panera for dinner in Oklahoma around 7pm - here we met an interesting woman who was running for President of the United States. We had an awesome 80's dance party at 11:00pm. After this point, things begin to blur together. I remember passing a giant baby in a field playing with a tractor (hopefully we will get pictures of this in the future - we pass through this town). We also were stopped multiple times by Border Patrol - we were within viewing distance of the US-Mexico border multiple times. The last thing I do remember, however, is arriving at our resting location for the next four days. We are staying at an old physical therapy gym. We can see Torrey Pines (the famous golf course) and the Pacific Ocean outside of our window. It's amazing. After talking to/emailing with everyone from the Ride over the past few months, it was great to finally meet everyone. I am incredibly excited to be spending the next two months with these amazing individuals. After getting to know each other a bit, we all passed out on the floor and had an amazing sleep.

Today was the first day of our retreat. Overall, I think it went very well. We learned about "A day in the Ride" - what everyone should expect during the next two months. We passed out uniforms (which are incredibly sweet - thanks Maggie!) and started to learn our Coast-to-Coast lecture series. We had some free time today, too. A few of us walked down to the Beach - it was GORGEOUS. In the afternoon, I went on a great run with Jeff and Roshan (yeah, Team Blueberry!!).
Maggie and I are now taking a short hiatus from the rest of the team. Everyone else went out for dinner, but someone needed to stay behind to let everyone else back in to the building (it locks us out at night...). Maggie is working on our video. I'm blogging (obviously). I hope you enjoy this blog and continue to follow my journey across the country. Get excited for the next two months. I know I am!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment