Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Retreat

March 30, 2010
Changing a flat is a pain in the butt. No, I didn't get a flat tire today. I didn't even go out on my bike today. But we had a bike maintenance class this morning, so we had to "create" a flat tire so we could all practice fixing it (as this is bound to happen at some point during our journey). It’s good practice, but can be frustrating at times. The back wheel is the worst – you have to maneuver the wheel out from the chain (this is not so difficult). But then you have to get the wheel back on, through the chain. I believe this is impossible to accomplish without covering oneself in chain grease. At least I have yet to accomplish this feat.

After making ourselves take a break from Ride work in the afternoon, Katie, Maggie, Megan, Bryce, and I went down to the beach. The water was, again, freezing. But it was a beautiful hike and nice to have a little break.
In the evening, we had our first event at UCSD. We were under the impression that we only had to show up, say “hi,” and listen to other people talk; however, when we arrived there, we realized that this was not the case. We were actually supposed to give a (short) presentation. We didn’t have our computer. We didn’t have a flash drive. Therefore, we didn’t have any of our presentations. Lenore and I did some fast, furious thinking and came up with a miracle solution. I just happened to have an old PowerPoint in my sent mail from at least 2-3 weeks ago. We were able to open this, and I managed to pull off a lecture without any problems. Oh, the joys of being CEO. Now we will always be prepared…

After our lecture, the team was able to relax a little at the local Pub on UCSD campus. It was great to relax for a little bit, have a drink, and chat in a more social setting. And, to make things even better, our awesome host from UCSD knew the bartender and worked out some sort of deal where we got all of our drinks and snacks for free. We owe them big time…
So overall, great day. We have our first “official” ride tomorrow and our tire dip. I am so excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment