Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Day 39 – Memphis, TN (0 miles – rest day)

Sunday, May 9, 2010

My blog is boring. I was literally just falling asleep reading through my last few entries. Zzzzzzzzzz… I’m going to make an effort to make this blog more entertaining. We’ll see how long this lasts.

Ok, I am already foreseeing two huge problems with my above-mentioned goal of increasing the entertainment value of this blog entry: 1.) I wrote the above paragraph prior to leaving for dinner. I have now returned from dinner, in which I stuffed myself completely full with delicious food. I may soon find myself in a food coma. 2.) Heidi is currently playing the piano in the same room in which I am attempting to write. Her music is so peaceful – I love listening to piano music. It makes me want to rest my head on this table and take a little nap. If I start to write complete gibberish and not make sense in this blog, it is probably because I have drifted off to sleep due to reasons 1 and 2 stated above. Please do not blame me. You will have Paradise Park and Heidi Gollogly to thank for this one. You can take it up with them…

After removing the clock from our room last night (I can’t stand ticking clocks in rooms in which I am sleeping – I find myself counting the seconds. It’s a strange habit, I know.), I actually got a good night’s sleep for the first time in a while. That is not to say that I actually slept through the night, as this would be a complete miracle. But I only woke up about a half a dozen times. And, to make things even better, we were allowed to sleep in this morning. “Sleep in” used to mean sleeping until 10 or 11 in the morning. I “slept in” until about 8:30 this morning. And it felt wonderful. My body did wake up on it’s own around 6:30 this morning, but I made myself go back to sleep. It was glorious. Maybe I am finally starting to catch up on my sleep.

We had a delicious breakfast delivered by a generous woman who was going to allow all of us (and remember, there are 23 of us) to stay at her house if we could not find another place to stay. For her sake, I’m glad we were able to stay at this church. After breakfast, some of us headed back downtown to explore the city a little. We stopped by the Country Music Hall of Fame. Because, again, I hate country music, I opted not to go for the tour. We did a little bit of shopping downtown, complete with a stop at a delicious ice cream shop. We then hiked about 2 miles to Centennial Park for the local arts festival. It was really neat. There were tons of local artists with all different types of art and mediums. It was like going to a museum – except it was outdoors and it was free. You couldn’t ask for anything better! While we were in Centennial Park, we ran in to the Parthenon. In the past two weeks, we have been to Paris, Milan, and now Greece. We are such world travelers…

While at the arts festival, I met up with Tiffany Ballard, one of my friends from undergrad. She’s a fourth year medical student at Vanderbilt and just happened to be in town this weekend. It was great to see her and catch up. It’s crazy to think that it has been nearly four years since we graduated from DePauw. Time flies when you’re having fun. And I’ve been having a blast!

I just had a delicious veggie burger and sweet potato fries for dinner. It was delicious. There is nothing better than sweet potato fries. Except when the sweet potato fries are drenched in catsup. Yum. Our restaurant even had live music. Good dinner. I have almost reached my food coma state and feel I should finish this blog as quickly as possible. Bed is calling my name. I need to try to catch up on even more sleep tonight.

End of the thirty-ninth day. And it wad catch-up/catsup day.

No comments:

Post a Comment