Sunday, April 18, 2010

Day 15 – El Paso, TX (0 miles – rest day)

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Today was a day off in El Paso. I think it was just what the team needed. We seem to have been on-the-go for quite a while, so everyone was very grateful for a little bit of down time. For the first time in more than two weeks, we were actually able to sleep in this morning. It was amazing. We eventually got up and went to a delicious Mexican diner for breakfast. It was delicious. Maggie was sad because the diner didn’t have anything “sweet” to eat, but she’s a minimalist and a boring eater, so her opinion doesn’t really count.

I felt like I was finally able to catch up with my life today. Sometimes as we are traveling through some of these remote cities, I feel like I’m not even in normal civilization. So I caught up on the majority of my emails, finished most of my contract stuff, and just got my life back in order. Sounds boring, but it actually helped reduce my anxiety by quite a bit.

Around mid-afternoon, 15 of us piled in to the white 15-passenger van (White Lightening) and drove about 2 hours to White Sands National Monument. It was absolutely amazing. It is difficult to describe; I don’t really feel like words can do it justice. White Sands is literally acres and acres of snow-white sands in the middle of the desert. I realize that sand does not sound that exciting in the middle of a desert, but this was something completely different. The sand here is powder soft. We walked the entire time without our shoes on. The dunes seem to stretch forever. Maggie and Tim purchased a disc sled at the visitor’s center, and we went “sledding” down the dunes. It was so much fun. We also had long-jump contests down the side of the dunes. It was like we were little kids all over again.
We stayed for the gorgeous sunset. We were told that this was one of the best times to visit White Sands. I couldn’t agree more. It was beautiful.

After a quick dinner on the road, we all headed back to the hotel for our last night of sleep in a real bed for a while. I’m sure we all left quite a bit of sand in those beds when we left…

End of the fifteenth day. And it was sandy.

No comments:

Post a Comment