Sunday, April 18, 2010

Day 16 – El Paso, TX to Guadalupe Mountain National Park, TX (106 miles)

Friday, April 16, 2010

Today was the most difficult day on the ride thus far. We completed our first century today. For those of you not familiar with this term, a “century” in cycling is defined as any ride that is greater than or equal to 100 miles (completed during one day, of course…). While this may sound difficult under “normal” cycling conditions, it became twice as difficult (at least) under the conditions which we faced today.

We started off incredibly early in the morning, as we knew it would take a while to complete a century. None of us imagined it would take nearly as long as it did. The day didn’t start off incredibly well. Justin blew a tire in the first five miles of the ride. He waited for the support van while some of us continued.

While we were aware that we were going to have a significant climb ahead of us, we all were under the impression that the majority of this climbing would occur during the last 10-15 or so miles of the journey; again, we were mistaken. The hills started around mile 20 and stayed with us the rest of the day. What a good friend.

Not only were the hills never-ending, but the wind was absolutely relentless. It was perhaps an even more constant enemy during the day than the hills. If you think the wind is bad wherever you live, visit Texas and reassess your previously held opinion on this subject. At our rest stop, the not-so-friend woman told us that they don’t even call anything “wind” in Texas until it reaches 100mph. Awesome. During our entire journey today, we faced a non-stop head wind. If we changed direction ever-s0-slightly, so did the wind. What a bitch.

I reached the century mark and was pretty pleased with myself, albeit very tired, with shaking legs, and a little cranky. Little did I know that the day had even more in store for me. In my delusional, tired state, I stopped paying close attention to the shoulder. At mile 101 I had a flat. I ran over a portion of a thrown-out beer bottle. Never, NEVER throw beer bottles (especially glass) out of the car. This bottle was the bane of my existence. I t happened mid-way up a super, super, SUPER steep hill on the way in to Guadalupe Mountain National Park. I sat there and stared at my wheel for at least 90 seconds, contemplating whether or not I would let it get the better of me, before I decided I should do something about it. Luckily, Jen and Jody caught up to me soon after and came to my rescue. With their help and encouragement (they pretty much changed the tube for me), I overcame the flat and continued on my way.

The rest of the route was, again, very tough. Lots of super steep hills and plenty of very strong head-winds. At one point, Lenore (who was on support that day) passed us and told us that it “flattened out ahead.” She was full of shit. Tim (support) also told us that there was no wind on these massive hills. He was also full of shit. Shit, shit, shit.
At mile 106.71 I arrived at our camp site, incredibly tired but so happy to be there (and quite proud of myself for accomplishing this feat). We had a delicious chili dinner, watched the sunset, and passed out for the night. End of the sixteenth day. And it was incredibly brutal.

1 comment: