Monday, April 26, 2010

Day 23 – Ranger, TX to Fort Worth, TX (102 miles)

Friday, April 23, 2010

Today was definitely my favorite day so far. And yes, I know that I keep saying this. But today topped them all (well, at least the first portion). I started off the day riding by myself because lots of riders were being slow-pokes this morning and I didn’t really feel like waiting around for them. I normally don’t really enjoy riding by myself – I tend to get bored and lonely. But today was not the same. The weather was gorgeous, the route was nice, and the scenery really was breathtaking. The sun was rising through the clouds and it kept sending rays of light through. Gorgeous.
At the first water stop, the rest of the group caught up with me and we rode together for quite a while. Some of the “I’m-a-crazy-cyclist” riders decided that the conditions were prime for trying to ride a century in less than 5 hours. So, needless to say, they took off. I think they did accomplish this feat, but I think I had more fun on the ride.

We ran in to some not-so-favorable conditions right outside of Fort Worth, but we were able to make it through with minimal car honking and glares. Around the 100-mile mark, I found a wonderful little snow-cone stand on the side of the road and felt that I really needed to stop. And it hit the spot perfectly. A few other riders joined me a little later for our delicious, icy treat. Then we rode to our final destination for the next two days. We are staying at the YMCA camp right outside of the city. We have two cabins, fire pits, mattresses, and a lake right outside. What more could we ask for?!?

Jess’s family lives relatively near-by, so they brought us dinner for the evening. It was delicious – multiple different types of salads, cheese and crackers, sandwiches, and (best of all) cheesecake. We were all in heaven. We stuffed ourselves to our hearts’ desires.
Because we have a day off tomorrow, we went into Fort Worth to the historic Stockyard area. I had never heard of this area before, but apparently it is pretty famous. They have a rodeo there every Friday and Saturday night and have turned the old stockyards/barns in to little shops and restaurants. Jenn found us this interesting, basement bar where a Bluegrass band was going to be playing. Now, for those of you that don’t know me super well, Bluegrass/country music is definitely NOT my style. In fact, I find country music to be one of the most annoying sounds ever. When I think of country music, I think of someone who can’t sing attempting to sing in a really twangy voice about their tractor and their lost love. In other words, I think it’s terrible.

However, I ended up having a great time. Yes, the band was a little annoying. And I can’t really comment on whether they sang about their tractors or lost love because I really couldn’t understand what they were singing about due to their incredibly twangy, thick accents. But it was fun, nonetheless. We all got out on the dance floor and made complete idiots of ourselves because most of us can’t even find the beat, let alone actually dance. Good times, good times.
End of the twenty-third day. And it was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment