Monday, April 26, 2010

Day 21 – Sweetwater, TX to Abilene, TX (42 miles)

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Today’s ride started out as one of the most picturesque routes we have had thus far. Thanks to my support day yesterday, I felt great. (Most of) the pain in my legs, shoulders, and butt had resolved. Great day. I rode the first portion of the day with Travis (and eventually Roshan). We kept commenting about how the views were great and the ride was so much fun. The wind was actually cross/semi-tail, so, for the first time in at least a few days, we didn’t have to battle the head winds.
About 12 miles in (or something around there), we hit another Primitive Road. Who knew that my new road bike would get so much off-roading experience?!? The road actually wasn’t that bad, and it was a beautiful view. The support team didn’t think it was a good idea to try to spray paint directions on the dirt road, so they spray painted on our sand-sled. Glad that it could be used again.

As we turned down yet another near-Primitive Road, Travis, Roshan, and I picked up speed going downhill to pass underneath a train-track overpass. It was incredibly picturesque. There isn’t a much better way to describe it. However, little did we realize that the road underneath the overpass was not-so-serene. Roshan and I were on the right side of the road, but Travis was on the left side of the road, which turned out to be the wrong side of the road. As we approached the under-pass, we realized a few moments too late that the road was pocked with holes and huge bumps. Roshan and I managed to avoid them. Travis tried to jump a massive hole. He landed on the other side, but in the wrong position. I was a little bit ahead, but when I stopped and turned around, all I saw was a pile of person and bike rolling. It was scary.

Roshan and I ran to see if Travis was ok. Although he was pretty scraped up and in some pain, he luckily did not appear to have any serious injuries. We called for the support van to come pick him up and take him to the Abilene ED just to make sure everything was ok. A few X-rays later, Travis was deemed to be bruised and battered, but without broken bones or any other serious injuries. Thank goodness.

The rest of the ride to Abilene, most of us were pretty cautious of the road. Sadly, we learned that some roads are not as safe as they may initially appear.

We stayed at an amazing facility overnight – The First Baptist Church Family Activity Center. Before we could enjoy it, though, Team Blueberry (my support team) had to do the team’s laundry. It was an adventure, to say the least. I have to admit that this was the first Laundromat I had ever been to. I guess I have been blessed to always have laundry in my house. We had some major difficulties trying to use the change machine, until we realized that it could change $20 bills at one time. Then we felt like we had hit the jackpot hearing all of those quarters coming out of the machine…

Our evening was perhaps the most fun evening we’ve had during the entire trip. The Family Activity Center not only had a bowling alley (yes, a 6-lane bowling alley inside the center), but it also had a skating rink. Ridiculous. We spent the evening bowling and skating to our hearts’ desires. Roller skating was complete with a disco ball and 90’s music. It really brought back memories from childhood birthday parties.

End of the twenty-second day. And it was fun-filled.

No comments:

Post a Comment