Thursday, April 8, 2010

Day 8 – Picacho Peak State Park, AZ to Tucson, AZ (43 miles)

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Today was a much better day. We (Team Blueberry) were on support, which meant that my body got a much-needed break from cycling. I feel much more rejuvenated.

We started off the day quite early. A few of us woke up before 5am to take a sun-rise hike up to the peak. I wasn’t sure I wanted to get up that early and lose some of my precious beauty sleep, but I am so glad that I did. My beauty can sacrifice for one day… =)

We set off while the moon was still high in the sky and the morning was pitch black. We all had on many layers of clothing, but quickly stripped this off as we made our trek up the mountain. We were able to see the sun rise over the desert from our climb. It was gorgeous. A great way to start the day.

I was in the middle van today, so I helped mark the route, direct riders in the correct direction, and was the official team photographer. I took lots of pictures of people cycling today. I also blared music at rest stops and cheered people on from the driver’s seat of a 15-passenger van. It was fun.
We arrived at Tucson and are staying at a local synagogue (again, props to Maggie for the hook-up). Team Blueberry was on support, which meant we were responsible for making dinner tonight. We made a delicious meal of “breakfast for dinner,” which everyone thoroughly enjoyed. I don’t want to sound like a braggart, or anything, but I’m pretty sure we made the best meal on the trip thus far…

We had a relaxing evening. We finally had internet access, so I am able to update my blog. It’s getting slow and the pictures are taking forever to upload, so you may have to wait until tomorrow for more pictures. My Thermarest pillow and Big Agnes mattress pad are calling my name…

End of the eighth day. And it was rejuvenating.







No comments:

Post a Comment