Thursday, April 8, 2010

Day 7 – Phoenix, AZ to Picacho Peak State Park, AZ (92 miles)

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Today wasn’t my best day. In fact, it was probably my worst on the trip thus far. But, with the help of friends, I made it through.

I started out the day feeling pretty crappy and it didn’t get much better. My throat hurt and my legs were aching (crying, actually) for a day off after four days of cycling. We had the longest ride of the trip this far. And a lot of the route was in to a head wind. But here were some things that made my day much, much better:

1. Dunkin’ Donuts – At our first water stop, Team Clover surprised us with donuts. It was amazing. Then we went over and took a team picture with the Dunkin’ Donuts coffee people.
2. Dust Devils – There were random little tornadoes of dust that would appear in fields. Reminded me of the Looney Tunes cartoon. It was definitely an interesting sight to see.
3. Nutty Bars – Team Clover also pulled through at the lunch stop and delivered Nutty Bars for everyone on the team. In case you don’t know what a Nutty Bar is, it is a delicious bar filled with wafers and peanut butter, smothered in chocolate. What could be better?

4. Casa Grande National Monument – Random, old house out in the middle of the desert. When in the area, why not stop?
5. Incredibly large cacti – I decided to give one a hug. It made me smile.

6. Picacho Peak State Park – Gorgeous park out in the middle of the desert. This was our final destination, which also made me incredibly happy (to know that we were finally there and I had a rest day the next day!).
7. Telling off Frontage Road – Frontage Road has officially become our arch-nemesis on this ride. There is a Frontage Road that travels parallel to nearly every single interstate across the country. However, because it travels right next to the highway and is rarely used by traffic, the roads are frequently in various states of disarray. Frequently, the roads are terrible. Frontage Road makes all of us upset. Maggie, Lenore, and I decided to give it a piece of our mind…
7. Stunning desert sunsets – The pictures really say it all…

8. Bonfires and s’mores – Great end to any day.

End of the seventh day. And I got by with a little help from my friends.










1 comment:

  1. Yay Libby! It looks like you guys are having so much fun!!!
    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete