Thursday, April 8, 2010

Day 6 – Buckeye, AZ to Phoenix, AZ (35 miles)

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Today was a nice, relaxing, short day. I think everyone’s legs and butts are thankful for this. We finished off our 35 mile flat, easy ride well before noon, while the desert sun was still (relatively) low in the horizon. The majority of us rode together the whole time – fun teamwork and solidarity.

We arrived on the campus of University of Arizona/Arizona State University College of Medicine for our first medical school lecture. The students who were there seemed very interested; unfortunately, most of the students had preceptorships and clinicals on Tuesday afternoons, so we only had 8 people there (in addition to the entire R4WH team, of course…). Small turn-out, but it was a good trial run.
After a short lunch on campus, we headed to the JCC (Jewish Community Center) in Scottsdale. It was ridiculous. Maggie got us an amazing hook-up. The place was enormous and incredible. We spent the afternoon gawking at the facilities and playing in the pool. It was a very relaxing, fun afternoon.

We finished up the day with our first journal club at a local Italian restaurant. Although not the ideal situation for a journal club, we had good conversation and amazing food. I had zucchini parmigiana. It was new to me and an absolutely amazing discovery. I was exhausted that night and passed out on my sleeping bag as soon as my head hit my travel-sized, compressible, super colorful Thermarest pillow.

End of the sixth day. And it was just what I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment