Monday, April 26, 2010

Day 25 – Fort Worth, TX to Greenville, TX (78 miles)

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Spring has sprung in Texas. When I first found out that we were going to be traveling through the great state of Texas for 11 days, I have to admit that I wasn’t super excited about it. In my head, I imaged desert, cacti, oil rigs, and tumbleweed. Lots and lots of tumbleweed. But, to my pleasant surprise, we have seen very little of this. Yes, there have been a few oil rigs and some cacti. But Texas (at least the part through which we are traveling) has not been desert-like at all. The terrain has been incredibly lush and green. There are trees everywhere. Wildflowers are springing up like crazy on the side of the road. And I haven’t even seen a single tumbleweed. It’s been gorgeous.
Today was no exception to the gorgeous Texan scenery. We started off the day headed straight in to some pretty brutal head-winds for about 30 miles. But it didn’t even feel that bad because the roads were smooth, the sun was out, and the scenery was great. Eventually we turned back east and had an amazing tail-wind. We covered the last part of our route in no time flat.

Lauren and I cycled together for the majority of the day. We passed through a lot of interestingly named towns in Texas. Ponder, TX just cried out for us to stop and take a picture...
We are staying at the United Methodist Church in Greenville, Texas. They have been incredibly wonderful to us. They cooked us a delicious meal and have been incredibly hospitable. Some people decided to go out and see the city, but I just wanted to stay in and relax. I read my book outside in their gorgeous little garden/woods area.

End of the twenty-fifth day. And it was lush.

No comments:

Post a Comment